Preheat a heavy bottom dutch oven over medium low heat and sautee the onion and carrot in a drop of oil or a splash of water until the onion is translucent. (omit oil to be WFPB & Plantricious compliant). Stir in the garlic and cook a few seconds until fragrant. Add the jackfruit pieces, thyme, bay and the red wine. Simmer until the wine is almost evaporated. (It’s very important that you allow the wine to evaporate or the stew won’t taste right). Meanwhile whisk the flour with the vegetable stock until combined and add it to the pot with the jackfruit. Bring to a simmer and stir in the paprika and cloves
- Cook everything together for 45 minutes until the jackfruit is fork tender.
- Stir in the gnocchi, tomatoes and green peas and cook a few extra minutes until the gnocchi float to the top and the green peas are cooked through to your liking.
- Discard the thyme sprigs and whole cloves and season the stew to your taste with sea salt and black pepper.
- Stir in the fresh parsley and serve
- Slow Cooker Method:
- Saute the onion and carrot with a pinch of salt until translucent. Stir in the garlic and cook 30 seconds longer.
- Add the cooked onion, carrot and garlic to a slow cooker with the jackfruit, red wine and all the spices.
- Whisk in the flour and veggie stock and add them to the slow cooker. Cover and cook on slow for 5-6 hours or on hight 2 – 3 hours. Add the gnocchi and green peas and return back to high heat for 20 minutes or so until the gnocchi are cooked through. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve.